The versatility of a bonus suite gives you a multi-purpose area in your home that can be used to suit your lifestyle. One of the great aspects of true flex-space is that it can easily be repurposed as your needs or preferences change.
Bonus Room Vs Bonus Suite
A bonus room is usually a single room without a bath or closet, often above the garage. A bonus suite in comparison generally includes a full bathroom, closet and could also be furnished with a wet bar or kitchenette making it much more versatile.
The Versatility of a Bonus Suite
- Guest Suite Having a guest suite dedicated to overnight or short-stay visitors allows you to dedicate one of the secondary bedrooms in your home as an office, playroom, or other purposes as needed.
- Multigenerational Living With one-in-four U.S. households comprised of multiple adult generations, a true bonus suite means you can easily convert your home for multi-gen living. This allows aging parents or “boomerang” kids to share your home with everyone having their own private space.
- Home Office If you need more privacy and room for your home office than allowed by a secondary bedroom or other shared living space, a bonus suite is the perfect solution. Having a large dedicated private room with plenty of storage helps you stay organized and productive while working.
- Movie/Game Room Movies, and especially gaming, can add a lot of noise and clutter to your living room. Having a dedicated movie and/or game room will keep your living area clean, organized, and quiet. It’s also a better experience for those watching movies or gaming as it’s easier to control the lighting and sound. And with a kitchenette for snacks and an attached bathroom, you may never want to leave!
- Music Room If you are a musician or want to learn an instrument, having a dedicated room for your instruments, especially if they are drums or a piano, will make playing music easier and more enjoyable for everyone. If done well, it can be one of the most interesting and beautiful rooms in your home.
- Library While not as common as it used to be, having a home library with wall-to-wall bookshelves and cabinets creates a private oasis for avid readers who would rather own tangible books over digital downloads. With comfortable furniture and good light for reading it can also be the perfect place to do puzzles.
- Hobby Studio Converting your bonus suite into a craft room or hobby studio gives you a dedicated space that can stay set up with the furniture and supplies you need for your craft. That makes it easy to walk in and enjoy your hobby without having to set everything up each time. It also keeps the rest of the house clean and free of clutter.
- Workout Room A bonus suite is a perfect size for a home gym or workout room. It’s large enough so you don’t have to squeeze your stationary bike or treadmill into a spare bedroom or living area with plenty of room for free weights and a workout mat. Add a sound system with a TV and convert the kitchenette and wet bar into a snack and juice bar and you have the perfect home gym.
- Meditation Space If you prefer a quiet space for meditation and yoga instead of a home gym, the bonus suite is perfect for that too. With minimal furnishings, your meditation and yoga room can be easily converted for other uses when needed.