Epcon’s low maintenance communities extend to the mountainous coasts of North Carolina. Learn more about the easy-paced lifestyle that awaits you once you move into one of our illustrious homes.
North Carolina: Relaxation and New Interests Abound
The South is undoubtedly a special area of the United States. And, while it may not receive as much attention as other states, North Carolina is exemplary at showing off what the South has to offer. There’s something for everyone to enjoy in the Old North State, from its relaxing beaches to its music, cuisine, outdoor attractions, and sports teams. Here are some reasons to consider retiring to North Carolina:
1. Enjoy white sands and clear blue waters. Much like its sister state, North Carolina is regionally renowned for its amazing beaches. It features a smattering of beaches all along the coastline—particularly along the Outer Banks. What could be a better way to spend the warmer months than by kicking back on the beach, sunbathing in the warm sun, and wading and splashing in crystalline waters?
2. Root for your new home team. North Carolina has several sports teams to watch. Soccer fans can root for Charlotte FC. Basketball fans will find a new favorite in the form of the Charlotte Hornets. Football fanatics can take to the Carolina Panthers. Finally, hockey enthusiasts can hit the rink to watch the Carolina Hurricanes in action. You could even delve into a new sport: North Carolina Courage (women’s soccer) and the Charlotte Hounds (lacrosse).
3. Find a new outdoor hobby. Thanks to its diverse geography, North Carolina offers an abundance of outdoor hobbies to enjoy, from skiing to swimming. You can explore the state’s blooming arboretums and gardens, take a walk through your local area to enjoy the rich reds, oranges, and yellows of fall, and go caving, fishing (freshwater and saltwater), canoeing, ballooning, camping, rock climbing, sailing, hiking, and biking.
4. It’s a foodie paradise. One of North Carolina’s most noteworthy cuisines is its pork barbecue. As such, you can find a wide array of barbecue joints to visit and enjoy, as well as new and interesting sauces to try. In the Eastern part of the state, they use a sauce made predominantly from red pepper and vinegar; but in the West, they prefer more traditional tomato-based sauces. But differences don’t stop with the sauce! The East uses all parts of the pig, both dark and white meat, while the West only uses dark meat (i.e., the shoulder), as well as only the highest quality “Boston butt.”
Outside of barbecue, North Carolina is also the home of two popular brands: Bojangles, a fried chicken chain, and Krispy Kreme. Beer, wine, truffles, and cheese are also popular among artisans.
5. Broaden your music catalog. North Carolina is home to a plethora of famous jazz musicians, including Billy Strayhorn, John Coltrane, Nina Simone, and Thelonious Monk. It’s also produced a number of folk, blues, bluegrass, and country artists. And speaking of blues, North Carolina’s blues scene is distinct enough to be its own genre: Piedmont blues. You can enjoy all kinds of live shows at the Blumenthal Performing Art Centers (Charlotte), the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts (Raleigh), and DPAC (Durham), among others.
If North Carolina sounds like your idea of home, get in touch with us. We’ll give you all the resources you need to retire here comfortably.